Sunday, November 27, 2005

Born Beautiful

Born into Brothels is a beautiful and deeply touching film. It reminds me of being a young girl on one of my visits to India where I first began to truly understand the injustice in the world. I vividly recall wearing a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt, a glaring emblem of American prosperity standing in a crowded train station in Pune. A young girl looked at me with longing eyes while she played the spoons and sang a Indian ballad in a raspy voice, trying to get a little money. In the background was her mother with no arms and legs sitting on a dusty potatoe sack. It was at this moment, and I'll never forget it, my outlook on the world was changed forever. Screaming in my young mind was the question "Why do I have everything and she nothing?" And to this day it affects me. This movie brought back all of that, but it also showed the hope, resilience, and innocence that all children share regardless of their station in life. This is an important movie. For more info about the movie and Kids with Cameras, go to www.bornintobrothels.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home